Phil Mozel, BSc. BEd.,
Phil Mozel, BSc. BEd,. has been portraying his alter ego for over ten years on battlefields throughout southern Ontario. He has been seen on PBS and at Fort York, Fort George, Fort Erie, Stoney Creek and other historic sites. His many years of experience includes teaching students of all ages at the McLaughlin Planetarium, Royal Ontario Museum and the Ontario Science Centre.
Imagine your classroom being visited by a British army regimental surgeon from the War Of 1812! This can happen by booking The 1812 Surgeon! In this engaging presentation students will learn of life two hundred years ago in Upper Canada. Using authentic reproductions of actual uniforms, surgical instruments and weapons (optional), students will learn of the surgeon's life and be led through the procedures for dealing with the sick and wounded.
Topics Covered in a classroom presentation may include:
* causes of the war
* clothing: from shoes to shako
* tactics: toe to toe fighting
* the musket: bane of the surgeons existence
* surgeons and surgery: 1812 style
History: Grade 7 - British North America
* explain key characteristics of lif in English Canada from a variety of perspectives
* describe the major causes and personalities of the War of 1812
* prepare and present a biographical sketch of a historial person from the period 1759 -1812
The School Visit
We volunteer at events but can be hired.
We will gratefully accept honouraria.